Here are some before and after photos from another renovated area of our 1800’s home.
Many parts of our home entrance have been completed for several years (the sidelights, paint removal on the door, new door plate, decor) but we recently decided to make some more updates to freshen the look.
Read on (below the photo) to see all the renovations we made in this area of our home. Tommy also has included some of his tips!
Removed the screen door
Replaced the door knob with a vintage knob we found on Ebay
Removed the layer upon layer of paint from the door using a heat gun, a scraper and tiny tools (it was a slow process but it worked VERY well!)
Re-glued the wooden veneer where needed. Tommy used a playing card to get the glue into the tight spaces between the door and the veneer.
Replaced the back plate (area around the door knob) with a vintage piece we found at an architectural salvage place
Painted the door with black Behr Marquee Exterior Paint
Shellaced and varnished the floral wood trim around the glass window
Added a new lace curtain and cafe rods (interior)
Added sidelights. We found them at an antique mall. They needed repairs, but since they fit the holes we found (where the original sidelights used to be until someone removed them at some point), we couldn’t pass them up. We found a local stained glass repair person and he fixed them beautifully!
Removed some of the exterior siding (to reveal the sidelights)
Painted the area around the door white
Painted the threshold light gray
Added new porch lights
Painted the columns and railings
Renovated the door
Added a bench and decor
We would like to see this home with the original columns (instead of the black iron ones), but we are fine with them as-is for now.
With the help of my husband’s father, we have completed all the renovations ON OUR OWN.
AND FYI—none of us are contractors or have backgrounds in this kind of work. We’ve just researched and learn as we go! You can learn a lot from YouTube too!