An easy and fast lunch or dinner bowl! A delicious Asian cuisine inspired meal! My husband devoured it, so it's gotta be good!
- 25 (approx.) baby carrots
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 inch knob of fresh ginger
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 block of extra firm tofu (8 ounces)***
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (I used a bottled hoisin sauce from Whole Foods)
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Aminos (I use the brand Bragg, or you could use soy sauce)
- salt and pepper (for seasoning only)
- Optional toppings: avocado (I used 2), chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, sesame seeds
***I use Twin Oaks tofu (I found it at Whole Foods). I use Twin Oaks tofu because you don't have to drain or press it. I cut one of their 16 ounce blocks in half for this recipe. If you use tofu that has been soaking in water in the container, drain and press some more of the water out of it for a few minutes (using paper towels or a tofu press) prior to using.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the baby carrots in half, lengthwise.
- Slice the onion in half and then slice into thin pieces.
- Put the carrots and onions on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the mixture.
- Peel the ginger. An easy way to peel? Use a spoon! It easily slides the peel right off! Grate it on top of the carrot mixture.
- Cut a lime in half and squeeze both halves over the carrots mixture.
- Sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper over the mixture and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft. (I stirred the mixture at the 15 minute mark to ensure an even roast).
- While the carrot mixture is roasting, crumble the tofu into a mixing bowl with the shredded cabbage, hoisin sauce, liquid aminos (or soy sauce) and the juice of the other lime. Mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Add the tofu mixture. Cook for 10-15 minutes (stirring often), or until the cabbage is soft.
- When the carrot mixture and the tofu mixtures are both done, it's serving time! Serving suggestion: Place some carrot mixture into a bowl. Top with some tofu mixture. Top with avocado (I used 2), chopped cilantro, chopped green onions, and sesame seeds!