The 10th installment in my Monday Mantra series: I am pretty!
We all have days when we don't feel pretty. It seems as if there is a some sort of strange shift in the universe and then BAM! We look in the mirror and are like "Uh, no. Not today."
This feeling isn't exclusive to gender or age. It happens to all humans, no matter who they are. I've had my share of days. My husband even has days when he doesn't feel he looks great. My 94-year-old grandmother has as well.
I don't know what exactly happens in our brains when these "not pretty" days occur, but they do and I've got some ways for you to cope.
7 things I try when I don't feel pretty:
- I put on makeup. Make-up can change your whole outlook on your appearance. I am not saying you have to wear makeup to look beautiful; I'm merely suggesting putting it on could help trick your brain on the day you don't feel pretty. This happened to me yesterday. I just looked in the mirror and said "It's a makeup kind of a day." even when I had no where to go. My husband didn't question me because he understood. Like I said, we all have those days.
- I watch a feel-good movie. Yesterday, I watched I Feel Pretty with Amy Schumer (and a whole slew of other cool actors). While it wasn't the funniest movie I've ever seen, it was a good take on how people view themselves and how much it harms self-confidence. Not feeling pretty today? Watch the movie.
- I do some self-pampering like paint my nails, take a bath, or take a nap.
- I put on my go-to outfit if I have somewhere to go. My go-to outfit is a white button down shirt and black pants with an awesome pair of heels and a long necklace. I always feel like a little powerhouse when I wear this.
- I exercise. There is nothing like a good workout to get your endorphins going again. Don't want to go to the gym (because it could make you feel worse)? Stay at home. There are plenty of at-home exercises you can do. Check out YouTube for some good workouts or go for a walk in the park.
- I tell someone how I feel. I hope you always have at least one person in your life that will listen when you don't feel your best and pump you up with kind words to make you feel great again. If you don't have that person, I'll do it for you. YOU ARE PRETTY. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. YOU ARE AWESOME!
- I write "I am pretty" in my journal. Saying it aloud or writing it down repeatedly can and will help! I used to tell myself I was pretty all the time as a child (my mom confirmed I used to do this in the mirror as a little girl), so why shouldn't I do it now?
What are some things you do when you don't feel pretty? I'm curious, so drop me a note in the comments below!
Backstory on my mantra series:
A mantra is a word, phrase, or sound that is repeated to aid in meditation. You could also compare it to a sort of prayer. I feel my journaling and writing of my mantras is a form of meditation or prayer. It calms me and helps me make better sense of my feelings and all the thoughts swimming around in my mind.
I believe saying or writing something repeatedly, as you already have it, aids one in attaining dreams and goals. If you write something as you already have it, it makes you feel, somehow, as if it is truly happening no matter how drastic or scary it may seem. It's like a trick to help your brain catch up to what your heart desires.